Being Fluent Is Not Everything: Know Your Industry Jargon
“Idea shower”, “blue sky thinking”, “let’s touch base”, the list goes on. Have you ever heard these expressions but are still wondering what they actually mean? A good command of a second language isn’t always enough to be successful within certain sectors. Whether you are planning to work abroad, starting your career, or moving into a new industry, understanding the technical vocabulary and jargon of your industry is essential.
Is The Industry Jargon Really So Different From The Everyday Language?
Jargon is specific to a group of people, and is usually not intelligible by those outside that group. People often make up new words and expressions that become part of the vernacular language of their group.
Every industry has its own jargon and unless you work within that industry, chances are it will sound like gibberish to you. Like fashion, jargon comes and goes. Some examples include:
• Bear market: a market in which share prices are falling due to pessimism.
• Scrubbing: when sales teams clear their customer databases of outdated information.
• Boutique hotel: coined in the 1980s, this term refers to small themed hotels.
• Blue sky thinking: being creative and not limiting your thinking by current beliefs.
• Game changer: idea or event that significantly changes the current situation.
• Get all your ducks in a row: to be organised.
• Strategic staircase: a business plan.
• Idea shower: another expression for brainstorming, or listing all possible ideas on a given topic.
And just like English, every language has its own share of industry jargon. Understanding all this quirky vocabulary can be difficult at first for those relocating abroad or simply changing jobs, but just like the general language, it can be learned with time.
How Important Is It To Know Your Industry Jargon
Understanding your industry jargon can help you in a number of ways:
• Improve your credibility and demonstrate you have experience working in the industry.
• Improve your communication with fellow professionals.
• Avoid misunderstandings and possible awkward situations.
• Better understand articles published by experts, helping you keeping up-to-date with the latest progress in your area.
Boost Your Career By Taking A Specialist Language Course
While jargon is typically learned through experience, it can also be taught as part of a specialist language course. This is a great way to be ready before starting a new job. Such a course not only teaches you the technical vocabulary and jargon you need to thrive in your job. It also trains you on the specifics of your job, from effectively communicating with colleagues and to drafting an accurate proposal. In addition, it can prepare you for a specialist test, such as the ELPAC test for aviation professionals and the MarTEL test for seafarers.
Cactus Language Training offers a variety of specialist language courses designed for those with very specific language needs. From Aviation English to Arabic for Oil and Gas, our experience across a wide range of industries means that we understand your linguistic needs. Contact us today for a free consultation on your training needs.
Cactus Language Training Services
If you are interested in discussing your global language training strategy with the UK leading provider in language training, then get in touch to learn more about your language learning options. From face-to-face, online, blended learning and in company tuition Cactus Language Training will help you find the delivery and schedule that meets your needs. Cactus offer any language wherever you are and whenever you choose. Download our Free Corporate Brochure.
At Cactus we strive to find the right language training solution for your needs.
If you have any questions or would like further information on any of our training solutions, use this contact form to get in touch with one of our team.
We can help you find the right solution for your needs and kick-start you and your teams language training journey.
Whether you are an individual looking to improve your language skills for career or personal reasons, or a company looking to improve your teams international communication skills, we have the right solution for you.