Your top language learning tips
Monday, 2nd November 2009
This year’s London Language Show gave us an excellent opportunity to meet all you language lovers out there, and gather some of your top tips on language learning.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to our ‘Cactus wall’ with the following hints and tips for successful language learning:
1. Don’t just rely on the lessons – do something outside them, even if it’s just watching a movie with subtitles.
2. Put vocabulary onto post-it notes, coloured by gender, and stick them up around the room. Change them regularly too.
3. Sing, sing, sing! Learn to lose your inhibitions and immerse yourself in the target language.
4. Read newspapers and watch the news in the foreign language.
5. Get a foreign boy/girlfriend.
6. Take exams.
7. Get lots of speaking practice.
8. Have fun whilst you learn.
9. A glass of wine before you start.
10. Learn one at a time, or at least don’t try to pick up all the basics at the same time.
11. Be disciplined.
12. Podcasts are awesome!
13. Don’t be afraid to make a fool of yourself.
14. Earworm raps (and other online learning games).
Got anything to add? Feel free to add your own hints and ideas in the Comments box below...