Sample Syllabus - Cultural Training for Relocation
Essential Cultural Training: Relocation
This cultural training program will create an intellectual and attitudinal framework which underpins and informs your understanding of your destination culture. It will also give you the tools to effectively address the specific cultural issues arising from that culture. Areas might include social relationships, management styles, teamwork, and communication styles.
Principals of our training methodology
Simplicity, clarity, experiential learning and sustainability
Module 1: Introduction
Cultural spirals©: Illustrates the difference between mono-cultural and multi-cultural behaviour and introduces the simple techniques to behave multi-culturally.
Module 2: Values & Attitudes
Recognize the importance of attitudes and values in determining behaviour and understanding cross-cultural communication as a system.
• Understand the cross-cultural framework
• Learn about key cultural differences
• Learn to be conscious of the synergies and differences between others’ values and attitudes and those of your own culture
Activity 1 The three ingredients of successful communication within diverse cultural environments
Activity 2 Stereotypes and generalizations
Activity 3 The three types of culture & how the world fits into them
Activity 4 Cultural Aerobics - values and attitudes of key reference cultures and how they affect communication
Module 3: Building Cultural Sensitivity
This module focuses on tools for recognizing cultural problems at work and avoiding or repairing them.
• Understand your own cultural style
• Learn how to adapt it to others
• Learn how to recognize and deal with cross-cultural misunderstandings
Activity 1 Understanding your preferred communications style
Activity 2 The 10 communications styles
Activity 3 A Cultural Audit
Activity 4 The RADAR cycle©
Module 4: Business & Social Environment Issues
To obtain and improve knowledge on various behavioural differences in target culture.
• Deeper understanding of how best to adapt to the new environment
• More harmonious and productive contacts with other cultures
• Greater confidence in fitting into the new environment
• Management style
• Business etiquette and working practices
• Communication styles
• Decision making
• Presentation and listening style
• Meetings and negotiations
• Teamwork and managing disagreement
• Getting to know people
• Hospitality and entertaining
Module 5: Intercultural Management Competences
This module is a personal profile audit reflecting:
• how multi-cultural your behaviour is now;
• how it can be re-adjusted in the future as the behavioural tools are applied.
This is for use after the seminar and is for your own personal use as an on-going audit into your cross cultural behavioural skills, and should be used to check in on your progress.
This is a core 4-hour package and can be refined and extended according to the specific needs of any client. It can include a greater amount of specific country or area profiling, or focus on the traditions and history of the destination country, for example.